Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hair Color

I haven't showed all of you what I look like but if you have seen my other blog Moda by Monika you've seen me.  Now I get complimented on my hair a lot or asked how I got the red in my hair.  Well, the following is a picture of me with my hair.


The secret to my hair is henna (and of course I found matching extensions somehow).  Yea, you heard that right.  Henna.  No, not the same kind they use for henna tattoos, but similar.  There are all different brands and I've tried all of them.  Henna comes in one color which is red.  If you read that it has anything like black or brown in it it's not pure henna it has hair dye in it.  At least that's what I was told.  The henna comes out different on everyone and it also gives a natural highlight.  For example if you've seen pictures of my mom and me hers is a little darker, but I also think it has something to do with my previous highlights.  Henna is a natural herb and comes in a powder.  It works as a hair mask as well.  With all of that being said let me show you how I use henna.


I bought this at an Indian store by my house.  I've used multiple brands whether in bags or boxes and they are all pretty similar.

Lemons for some extra lightness.


Yogurt as a conditioner.



Mix a tablespoon of yogurt with half of the squeezed lemon.



Boil some water and start mixing until this turns itself into a liquidy paste.





You can't see it in this picture but wash your hands directly after or wear gloves because the henna stains your hands an orange color.  It comes off but you look like it was a self tanner night gone bad.

**Please note henna is permanent. Most hairstylists will not touch your hair if you tell them you use henna. It's possible that your hair can melt. Henna has something in it that causes some kind of reaction with chemicals. If you want to be a red head until you can grow it out then you can try out henna. I've dyed my hair with henna in it but it is recommended not to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment